Discord refuses to join Microsoft and will stay independentApril 21, 2021
- Discord has ended the discussion with Microsoft in the possibilities to sell itself.
- It is reported that Microsoft plans to acquire Discord for at least $10 billion.
- Discord has doubled its value last year which estimates to be around $3.5 billion.
- There were three companies that had plans to acquire Discord. Besides Microsoft, Amazon and Epic Games also planned to acquire the company.
Earlier in March, popular gaming chat app Discord was reportedly in talks to sell itself to Microsoft.
With many people already excited that Discord will be linked with Microsoft’s Xbox apps, Discord has ended talks to sell itself to the multibillion computer business giant. Discord has been performing well and preferred to stay independent.
It was reported that Microsoft plans to acquire Discord for at least $10 billion. Discord apparently has been in discussion with at least three companies namely, Amazon and Epic Games. Both of which, like Microsoft, has also been acquiring and making various business deals to conquer their market. Amazon having numerous businesses including popular gaming streaming platform Twitch while Epic Games has been losing millions of money for store exclusives to battle gaming store giant, Steam.
Microsoft also had plans for video sharing social media platform TikTok but was unsuccessful.
With the current pandemic and the rise of chat apps because of the current worldwide situation, Discord was launched back in 2015 and since then its value has doubled last 2020 estimating around $3.5 billion valuation.
What started out as a chat app focused for gamers has grown to be a global chat app to communicate and hangout with friends, relatives and even with co-workers and classmates in this pandemic.
Both Microsoft and Discord are still open to future talks in the future.
- ESGS reaches 10th year milestone of celebrating esports, games, and tech - November 1, 2023
- VCT Challengers 2024 Roadmap - October 23, 2023
- Empyrean Cup Ignites Fierce Competition in the Philippine League of Legends Community - August 31, 2023